If you are trying to organize an English language course in England you have to choose from the incredible wealth of possibilities at your disposal. Making a choice that is both affordable and one to suit your needs is very difficult.
English courses are often aimed at achieving a certificate, whether the TESOL, the CELTA, or other, and many allow you to achieve excellent results.
But the choice is often expensive and sometimes does not solve the problem of finding an accommodation that is not always included in the package offered by the school or may not be suitable for your needs.
Besides, you also note that the certifications do not guarantee proficiency.
The ability to understand and be understood in a variety of situations encountered in everyday life and in different work environments require time-consuming exposure to the language; this can be much more intense, constant and varied than what a school can offer.
A very practical and economical remedy to these problems is to find an English host family.
Living with a British host family is an excellent solution from an economic standpoint, as it offers excellent value for money, language and culture.
In fact it allows:
• Full immersion in the language and English culture learned from the inside.
• Involvement in the activities of the host family, weekdays, weekends and trips.
• Breaks from the routine of study, especially if you are earning a certificate, can be very tiring, but continues to put into practice what you learned.
Students who prefer this solution will find many families, according to their tastes and preferences and will be able to schedule a personalized learning holiday.
They can also choose to study at home or school. Bare in mind that even if we speak of “families”, the housing supply could come from a person living alone, a professional who gives lessons in English or a retired single person looking for someone to share their interests, or a couple with adult children who no longer live at home.
The chances of finding a suitable solution to their needs, both personal and language are very extensive.
There is a chance to visit various websites, in Italy and England. Check first that the host families are always inspected in one way or another.
Whether you rely on an organization that selects families for you, whether you do it yourself on specialized sites, understand:
• Each student enters as a guest only and is housed in a single room
• When choosing, consider age, common interests, the condition of the house and location. Consider the distances from population centers and language schools if you want to attend a course.
• In addition to housing, that the contract provides half board with breakfast and dinner included. If you have special dietary needs, you agree to use the kitchen to prepare your own meals (depending on your age and contact details this may of course be included).
You will have the opportunity to see the host family that the site includes photographs and a detailed description of professional interests, sports and cultural activities.
In conclusion it should be noted that the host family requires a dose of adaptability and common sense and a desire to communicate is not suitable for everyone. Those who choose, however, will get a bonus: a friendship that lasts over time and become an enriching experience.